Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A Eulogy for my beard

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away (i.e. last December in the Philippines) I started growing you. Since there was little access to hot water, I found out very quickly that shaving wasn't going to be an option. Plus, I'm lazy and didn't want to.

Since then, we've been through a lot together. You kept me warm in the winter months, and really hot in the summer. But that's ok.

You were there when I became the Field Captain, lending an air of respectability and confidence so I could lead the Hounds. Without you, we would have crashed and burned at the playoffs. Oh wait, never mind...

You made me look much older...I don't think I've been carded at the Beer Store since you've been around. There's no way I would have been able to join up with that Master's team at Nationals had I been clean-shaven.

Along with that, you've allowed me to appear dignified and made all of my actions look distinguished...like that time I got really drunk and went streaking through the quad.

But that has all come to an end. One of my best friends just got married, and since I was in the wedding party I needed to clean up. It's only been a week, but right now there's a whole in my heart that I'm not sure can be filled.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...I miss you more than Michael Bay missed the mark, when he made Pearl Harbor.


For those who haven't seen me since the shaving...

Before:


After:

5 comments:

Christian said...

When you shaved your beard, did you find a fist?

Anonymous said...

No, he found a bird's nest.
Now he's mothering 3 little chicks until they learn to fly.

Anonymous said...

Chris, can you run faster now that you've got an aerodynamically smooth face?

Chris said...

We'll see on Monday.

Bob Churchill said...

Hey, you know it's better nettiquette to download an image and store it on your own site, rather than leach it off others, yeah? (I.e. that's my site that your Hagrid image is coming from.)

I forgive you though, because I too have had to shave off my beard and it was indeed very sad.