Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hounds on the Beach?

I'm sure most of you have had enough of me telling stories about my trip to the Philippines, when I stumbled upon the Boracay Dragons ultimate team and was able to join in their scrimmages.  Well, it's time for the Hounds to storm the beach, and I'm not referring to sandbagging teams playing the mini 5's league.

 If you ever check out the BULA blog in my Blogroll (it's on computers now), you would have seen this recent story about the Boracay Dragons winning a tournament last month.  They have become THE team to beat on the beach.  Here is the video covering their most recent victory (including a scary meeting of the minds):


I propose that we attempt to slay the dragons and take a Hounds team to the Philippines to play in the Boracay Open.  That's right...a Hounds Balikbayan team.  

I have touched base with my friend Junthir in Boracay about the possibility of bringing a team over, and he's very excited to help us out.  He's not sure when exactly the tournament will take place, as in the past it's been March or May.  I suggested March would be better for us, so it won't affect those with touring aspirations, or the start of the TUC season.  I think he'll do his best to ensure that happens.

I'm guessing the cost would be in the $2500-$3000 range, with the biggest cost of course being airfare.  Junthir can probably help us get a good deal on a hotel (or find places for us to stay), and food and drink is ridiculously cheap compared to Canada.  When I was there, 1 beer cost about 40 cents.  Seriously.  I've got $5...let's go get drunk.

So...who's interested?  We can see who's in from the Hounds, and then find others.  It's a 4-on-4 tournament, so we'd only need about 10 players.  

This could be a part of a larger vacation for people (i.e. visiting relatives in a neighbouring country), so it doesn't have to be all about Boracay, although there's definitely nothing wrong with that.

Either way, I'd love to do more of this next year:

4 comments:

bonners said...

I've recently decided my fear of flying is stupid. I'm in!

Anonymous said...

Chris Loat ... deep threat!

Anonymous said...

I heard that Christian and Frogger needed a break from working too hard, maybe they'll go for this.

Anonymous said...

Can you add me to the distribution list, just in case...