Thursday, March 01, 2007

I can’t control my brain

Something new that I'm going to try to make a ritual on my site is to put up some cool songs/videos up.

Today, it was snowing out. Not just some wussy little flurry either. It was "good luck trying to get where you're going in time" snowing out. And now it is expected the snow will give way to freezing rain. Wicked.

So, let's do a 180, and look at Weezer's "Island in the Sun". Not their best video (Buddy Holly and Gone Fishing are better), but really, this is probably the most re-watchable.

The song itself is pretty basic: singing about going away with that special someone and leaving all your cares behind. Probably sitting on the beach, with a fruity drink, wondering if you need more sunscreen...really, what's wrong with that? Nothing, that's what.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the video, which has the band (before they found their new bassist Scott Shriner) playing with a bunch of baby animals. Awww...cute...

I think what makes this such a good video is how understated it is. Obviously, the stars of the video are the animals, but Weezer and the director avoid being obviously cheesy (ok, there's still some roquefort present), and seem to be content to let things unfold, and let the stars do their thing. It's almost like "Animals Close Up With A Wide-Angle Lens" without the circus music.

My two favourite parts:

When the Chimp lifts up the guitarist Brian Bell's shirt.
When the bear comes up from behind Rivers Cuomo and licks his neck. Rivers' reaction is like it's a 40 year-old coked-out groupie ("Um, what are you doing, get away from me.").

So, if you've had a tough day, or if the bad weather is bringing you down, just click below and let Rivers take you away to an island in the sun, where you'll never feel bad anymore.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Chris for this pick. I consider Weezer one of the most under-rated (yet still famous) band ever. That's the curse of having such a popular first album I guess...

If you don't have their albums, go get them... and I don't want to see one fo you downloading it for free online!

Anonymous said...

I can't control my fingers. I can't control my brain. Hurry, hurry, hurry, before I go insane!

Band? Song?

Anonymous said...

What did I do on snow day? Wait for 50 minutes in the snow for the bus. Snow days suck if you don't have anyone to throw snowballs at.

Anonymous said...

I guess Christian's too young for that one.

Chris said...

It's because he's too tense...he needs something to take the edge off...maybe some valium.

I forget the band name, but I'm sure they're gonna go far.

Anonymous said...

Smithers, have the Rolling Stones killed.

Anonymous said...

I wanna baby lion!!

And maybe also Brian Bell...

Both quite cute.

(Ramones. I wanna be Sedated.)