Monday, February 12, 2007

We're not ready to make nice

A sign that I am getting old: I had no idea that the Grammys were on Sunday. OK, that's not entirely true...I had heard that they were coming up, but I did not care enough for that to register in my little brain. Apparently the big winners were the Dixie Chicks with 5 awards, including the award for "Best song by a duo or group that got shunned for trashing the President but are now revered because it turns out that they were right." The Foo Fighters didn't have a chance.

Of course, had I realized the Grammys were on, I still would not have been able to watch because:

A) I pretty much dislike the music of all the performers and winners...let's just say that if you asked me what I thought about their music, "Not my cup of tea" would be a common response.

B) I was playing ultimate.

As for the game, a 30-22 Hounds victory was the result from Sunday's game against Huckin' Fappy. We did start slow, as we were down 8-6 at one point, but then quickly stopped checking our own prostates to take a 13-11 lead when they took their time out. After that, we stayed ahead on the strength of Simon's hammers (at least 5) and Matt's Callahan (first one?) and cruised to the victory.

So, what worked on offense? Well, other than Simon's hammers, when we moved the disc quickly, we were able to get open, as well as find the open player. There wasn't anything really special I thought...after the slow start, we just really went to work and stopped making mistakes.

But, what can we work on? We didn't move it off the line nearly enough, which caused a lot of turnovers due to throwing into narrow spaces. Also, when we got near their endzone, they would drop back their players back (pretty much into a endzone zone), not leaving much room to make a pass. In those cases, the disc should get into the hands of the handlers, and then quick movement creates open space. I also think we are clogging the lanes a little too much, as we should be creating some space by using a stack offense more, thus opening up more room for longer gains off our initial throws (then we can make the quick passes to get the score). It just seemed like we didn't have much room out there.

On defense, we forced quite a lot of swilly throws from them, which is a sign of good marking.

We did not use our zone enough, which I think was due to them being quite fast on the restart. This did not give us a chance to set it up as we usually do. I think we should also try to set up a short/deep strategy, where you have one man covering the short cuts, and one man covering anyone going deep. This can help to disrupt a team's flow, as well as help anyone who has lost their mark.

Anyway, those are just some of my thoughts. Feel free to add your own comments.

And to sign off, the winners of the 1985 Grammy for Outstanding Soul, Spoken Word, or Barbershop Album of the Year:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Matt's second Callahan actually....

Anonymous said...

I've never had a Callahan. Some days I sit at my desk and dream of the day that my lightning quick reflexes, psychic knowledge of an opponent's field positioning and general awesomeness will allow me to experience what Matt has done twice.

A man can dream...